Vet Blog

Emergency Call

June 07, 2021

What should I do if my pet…

…gets stung by a bee?

If your pet has a history of reacting to stings, carry an EpiPen or give your pet antihistamines before you take him somewhere he may be exposed. Otherwise, an ice pack can relieve pain or puffiness. Stings aren't worrisome unless the eyes, nose, or mouth swell or if your pet seems ill. If that happens, seek emergency veterinary care immediately.

…has her nails cut too short?

Apply Styptic powder to stop the bleeding. You can also use tape or an adhesive bandage to apply pressure to the nail. Whatever you do, stay calm so that your pet will too. If she gets excited, the blood flow will increase. If bleeding continues for more than 30 minutes despite first aid, contact your vet.

…swallows a foreign object?

As soon as your pet consumes something dangerous, contact your vet for the next steps. We may recommend you try to make your dog vomit the item back up with hydrogen peroxide, but please call us to get the correct amount, since too much hydrogen peroxide can be harmful. In general, keep floors and couches clear of spare change, decorations, and anything that smells or looks like food, especially if it can easily be eaten.

…eats a box of chocolates?

Chocolate can be deadly four our pets. Dark chocolate is the riskiest. Call your veterinarian or poison control (ASPCA 888-426-4435) for treatment recommendations, which will depend on your pet's weight, the type of chocolate he ate, and the amount consumed.

…breaks a tooth?

Make an appointment with your veterinarian. We need to assess the fracture to see what the appropriate treatment will be for your pet. Meanwhile, decrease pain by eliminating rawhide or other treats that are tough to chew, offering soft snacks, and soaking dry food to soften it.

(Adapted from Family Circle Magazine, June 2014.)

Accepting New Clients!

Schedule with us today.